Monday 19 January 2015

Student Spotlight: Micaela Dixon

U of T's reputation for a tyrannical-like domination work-wise can be substantiated by every student's opinion on their work load, and how many hours they spend in the library each day. As a result of this, its not uncommon to succumb to the allure of comfort. However, there are some students who choose to maintain their individuality, and don't let their stressful academic lives prevent them from expressing themselves sartorially. At UFashion, we hope to encourage students to do this all the time, and thus, we've decided to highlight those on campus who continuously impress us with how they express themselves through their senses of style, no matter how comfortable sweatpants may be. 


Micaela Dixon is one of those students who perseveres stylistically. She is a second year doing a double major in Art History and Literature and Critical studies. Her colourful, eclectic and fashion forward eye is always noticeable amongst the sea of puffy winter coats, and industrially made winter footwear. She actively chooses to (sometimes regretfully) wear whatever she wants, regardless of the temperature or what is expected from the student culture at U of T. The following is our conversation with Micaela about becoming interested in fashion, evolving sartorially, and life as a fashion-forward student. 
UFashion: How and when did you get into fashion? 
Micaela: I think it was when I was in high school, and I bought my first copy of Vogue. It was a British Vogue and had Kate Moss on the cover and it was a Mario Testino shot. I proceeded to cut it up, and put it in this book, that I put everything I wanted in. It was like a wish book. 
For me, it started out where I would wear really awkward things. Like I would wear a jean skirt and leggings underneath it and I just had to realize that I should never do that again. As you keep going, you get a little bit more refined, and I think the second you start being interested in fashion shows and the big parts, the heavy hitters, I think then it comes a little bit easier, because you see what's really happening. You begin to identify with brands, and their looks.



Who or what do you look to for style inspiration? 
For bloggers, my favourite blogger would be Susie Bubble. She never compromises her integrity, and if she does, its very infrequent, and I really respect that. I respect the way she dresses, but I also respect how, when someone asks her "do you wear this all the time? Even on the weekends?" she'll obviously will tell you "no, i wear jeans on Sundays." It gives her more personality, she becomes a person who you know isn't always put together, and isn't trying to live up to the facade of her Instagram account. She seems to represent a little bit more of a healthy lifestyle. 
For brands, I've always really liked Carven. It's such a quintessential french brand, but they're not trying to be YSL, cigarette pant, the Parisien aesthetic. They're not trying to be Isabel Marant, which is over-saturated to say the least, but so nice. 

What area in Toronto do you like to go people-watching for style inspiration? 

I would say Ossington is my favourite area in Toronto for people who always look really cool. Ossington between College and Queen. You have Bellwoods brewery, which is this really cool bar. There are so many vintage stores, and just vintage consignment designer stuff. It just seems really authentic. I like it because you're in the city but it has a really chill vibe. 

I like Kensington a lot too. The weekends especially, because everyone goes to the cafe's and sits there for an absurd amount of time, including myself. I also like Trinity Bellwoods Park. It's so relaxed, you can just sit with your friends, have a picnic, talk, smoke. It's really nice. 
As a literature studies student, what publications do you read and find inspiration from?
I love the Paris Review. They do really great interviews with writers. They did one with Ursula Le Guin [that I loved]. They just do such a good job and the interviews flow so well, they're incredible conversations with these incredible people. The interviewees can be super sporadic, but they don't seem super uptight or worried when they're being interviewed for them. 

What music have you been listening to? 
I really like bands right now like Real Estate. They're a New Jersey guitar band. It's a lot of beach-y vibes going on. Pitchfork really likes them. Also, Mac DeMarco obviously. But then the people in Mac DeMarco's band as well. I went to this HOMESHAKE concert at The Silver Dollar, and it was super cool and jazzy. King Krule was one of my favourite artists last year. All of his stuff that he does that's not King Krule, like djdsports too. So I guess I love young musicians. 

School wise, how do you maintain your sense of style, despite having to study, and go to the library, and freeze to death? 
This was my problem last year. Last year, I was really into shorts and tights. I just wore a lot of tights, and I didn't want to wear pants very often. I lived on residence, so I suppose it was a little more understandable, so I could just wear tights throughout the winter. People told me I looked like I was going to get sick. I thought it was so worth it. Someone told me at Starbucks, "I would dress like you, but I got physically sick, and I can't jeopardize my health." I wore a peacoat and that was it. In retrospect, it was a bad idea. I never had to walk that far, but still. 

This year, I have a Canada Goose. I will probably be wearing it, whether I want to or not. It's going to be a lot of pants, a lot of layers, sweaters, things that are comfy.

Do you want to go into fashion at all? Have you considered it? 
Ya. I considered going into fashion, it would be such a dream. I went to Toronto Fashion Week, and when I was there, I could really see myself doing this, but maybe on a larger scale. 
Doing what? 
I really like the editorial side of fashion. I love magazines that discuss how fashion informs culture and art. It's really interesting to me, so I can see myself working at a publication that deals with that. Something like i-D. This is the dream, though, right? 



All photos taken by Iva Avramov.

1 comment: